Breakfasts are held six times a year and feature prominent speakers who discuss current government and political issues. These events are free, open to the public, and broadcast by Crosswalks cable television throughout the five boroughs. Says the Huffington Post:
“Ross Sandler, a NY Law School professor, is the breakfast host. His breakfast event is the closest thing to a successor to the long-lamented City Club of New York, which played a significant role in the City of New York for more than 100 years, including in the fiscal crisis and then the mayoralty of the late Ed Koch. A moment of respectful silence for the loss of a great mayor… and another for the demise of the City Club.”
Breakfast sponsors include Consolidated Edison, Verizon, and Greenberg Traurig.
CityLaw Breakfast Schedule
Friday, September 16, 2016 – Joseph Ponte, Commissioner, NYC Department of Corrections
Friday, October 7, 2016 – William J. Bratton, NYC Police Commissioner
- Thursday, May 26, 2016 – Errol Louis, Host, Inside City Hall spoke on Civic Leadership. Watch video here.
- Friday, April 29, 2016 – Robert Capers, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District spoke on “Building Bridges to the Community.” Watch video here.
- Friday, March 18, 2016 – Shola Olatoye, NYCHA Chair and CEO spoke on “Next Generation NYCHA” Watch video here.
- Friday, January 28, 2016 – Eva Moskowitz, Founder, CEO Success Academy Charter Schools spoke on “The Fight for Educational Justice.” Watch video here.
- Friday, November 13, 2015 – Vicki Been, HPD Commissioner spoke on “Housing New York: Pairing Neighborhood Investment with Protections Against Displacement”, Watch video here.
- Friday, October 9, 2015 – William J. Bratton, NYC Police Commissioner Watch video here.
- Friday, September 11, 2015 – Dean Anthony W. Crowell moderated a panel on: The City’s Lawyers and September 11th: A Breakfast Roundtable Discussion. Panelists (positions in 2001) – Jeffrey D. Friedlander, Law Department; Steven Fishner, Criminal Justice Coordinator; Marjorie Landa, Law Department; Bryan Grimaldi, Mayor’s Office; and Florence Hutner, Law Department. Watch video here.
- On Friday, August 28, 2015 – Carl Weisbrod, Chair, NYC City Planning Commission spoke on “The Planning Initiative of Housing New York”. Watch video.
- On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 – Mark Peters, Commissioner, Department of Investigation, spoke on “Legacy & Reform: DOI’s Role in City Government”. Watch video.
- Friday, May 1, 2015 – CityLaw 20th Anniversary – featuring NYC Law Department Corporation Counsels Past and Present, Zachary Carter, Michael Cardozo and Paul Crotty. Watch here.
- On Friday, April 10, 2015, Melissa Mark-Viverito, Speaker, New York City Council, addressed the need for criminal justice reform in New York City, calling for an expansion of desk appearance tickets and a public bail assistance fund for low-level nonviolent offenders, rather than incarceration. Watch video.
- On Friday, February 20, 2015, Meera Joshi, Commissioner, Taxi and Limousine Commission.The chairwoman addressed TLC’s role in regulating the taxi and fore-hire vehicle industry and spoke at length about industry changes brought on by private for-hire vehicle companies such as Uber and Lyft. Watch video.
- On Friday, January 23, 2015, Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York spoke at length about the necessity for public vigilance against public corruption. Photos here. Watch video.
Click to our video archive page for more.