Quick Start Guide for Eschaton!
Eschaton! is a collective strategy game played within the context of the State of Play VI Conference. In this game, will be a member of a particular Faction, attempting to destroy the Conference once and for all. They will do this by collaborating with their Faction members to onstruct some manner of a Hideous Device from a collection of Resources that are obtained by Crafting, Trading, Stealing, Killing, and Defending.
During the conference, each Faction will have a designated home base area where members can meet and discuss. This is also where a member of your Faction will be to handle the tally sheet, where the number of Resource Cards will be recorded.
There are three stages of the game:
Factions will have to obtain a number of Resource Cards by Crafting, Trading, and Stealing using the Action Cards provided. Each Action Card has directions as to how to execute the move. Here are the general Actions:
· Craft- Each Faction has the ability to create their own type of Resource Card by following the instructions on the card. There are predetermined Resource Cards for each Faction: Stationers craft Precedent Cards, Collectivists craft Giberish, etc. The crafting action does not require involvement of any other player.
· Trade- Each Faction can trade with another predetermined Faction. The trade must be offered and accepted. Only the Faction’s own Resource Cards can be used in the trade or example, Cultists can only trade away Demonic Power, Engineers can only trade away Blueprint, etc.
· Steal- Each Faction can also force a specific other Faction member to give up one of their Resource Cards. However, you will have to destroy (tear up) one of your own Resource Cards in the process of completing the action. (This means you cannot complete the action without Resource Card!)
In order for each Faction to receive their Armature, they will need a Secret Sauce Card in addition to specified number of Resource Cards from Crafting, Trading, and Stealing.The task to receive your Secrete Sauce Card will be announced at the dinner on 19th.
Once you have combined your Resource Cards and your Secret Sauce Card, turn them in to a game administrator to receive your Armature Card.
Power Supply Stage:
In this stage you will have to obtain Resource Cards by Crafting, Killing, and Defending.
· Craft- same as before.
· Kill- With this action you may wipe out all of a person’s personal Resource Cards by pairing up with a fellow Faction member and cornering the victim designated on your Kill Action Card. Much like the Steal action, to complete this each attacker will have to destroy one of their own Resource cards whether the Kill is successful or not.
· - This action is the same for every Faction. Use this card while someone is trying to perform a “Kill” action. If successful, the attacker will have to tear up a Resource ard, and the defender can go to a game administrator to receive a Flux Decapitator Card.
Once your Faction has received enough Resource Cards from Killing and Defending, a game administrator will give you a Power Supply Card.
The World-Ending Ritual will involve a specified number of faction members convening in the presence of alcohol, and invoking a series of engineeringprocesses/legal terms/arcane mutterings/internet memes which spell out the word "CHEERS".
Where do I find other people in my Faction?
Each Faction will have a poster that signifies their Faction, either on the first floor or basement level.
Can I destroy any Resource Card when I use a Steal or Kill Action?
No, you must destroy the Resource Card that is particular to your Faction. If you do not have a Resource Card to destroy then you cannot complete the Action if it is required.
Where does my Faction meet
Where does my Faction meet up?
Collectivists: First floor, far corner, by the coffee.
Cultists: Behind Rock Band
Stationers: In the basement, next to the computer lab.
Engineers: In the basement, to the right of the projection screen.
How do you keep score in this crazy game?
There is a Tally Sheet at your HomeBase. Each Faction should submit a tally twice on Friday and twice on Saturday.
The Factions that are in the lead will be posted on a board behind the Game Administrator's desk.