I. General Information Sources
A. Bar Admissions Requirements
For the latest information about the New York bar examination and bar admission, including the Rules of the Court of Appeals for the Admission of Attorneys and Counselors at Law, be sure to consult the New York State Board of Law Examiners’ web site. You should visit the Board’s web site on a regular basis for important announcements and notices. In addition to information about what is on the exam, you can find out information about ADA test accommodations, the bar exam application, security policy, and frequently asked questions (including the laptop program). Those items, as well as Board press releases, appear toward the bottom of the home page so be sure to scroll down to find them. Additional sources of information are set forth below.
1. American Bar Association, Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements (American Bar Association 2007) [KF302.Z9 C65 Ready Reference and online]
An annual publication of the National Conference of Bar Examiners and the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar. Contains a directory of state bar admission administrators and charts of state-by-state information.
See also: The American Bar Association, Bar Admissions Page
2. BAR/BRI Digest (Harcourt Brace 2003) [KF302.A15 B37 Reserve]
Annual publication of the BAR/BRI company. Contains information on state admission and testing requirements along with information on bar review courses offered by the publisher.
3. National Conference of Bar Examiners, The Bar Examiner [Periodical, on microform; Westlaw and online]
A quarterly journal on bar admissions issues published by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. The National Conference of Bar Examiners provides an online Article archive (PDF format), with articles published in The Bar Examiner between 1989 and 2004.
4. National Conference of Bar Examiners; Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE)
B. Bar Examination Questions
Annual Compilation of Bar Examination Questions and Answers. (Institute for Bar Review Study 2007).
Hein’s State Bar Examinations (for other states)
A microfiche collection of annual bar examination questions from approximately 30 states that release their questions to the public. Dates of the latest examination available will differ based on a state’s individual policy.
MPRE Sample Questions VI: Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (NCBE 2002).
Copies of questions released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners.
National Conference of Bar Examiners
National Conference of Bar Examiners Online Store: The NCBE Study Aids store offers a range of online practice exms, questions and analyses for the MBE, MPT, MPRE and MEE.
New York State Board of Law Examiners, New York State bar examination: essay questions [KFN5076.Z9 N49 Reserve]
New York State Board of Law Examiners; Past Exam Essay Questions with Sample Candidate Answers (July 2005-July 2013)
New York State Board of Law Examiners; Content Outline for the NYS Bar Examination (PDF)
The NYS Board of Law Examiners has created a content outline in an effort to provide information regarding the subject matter tested on the bar examinations. The outline is intended to indicate, in summary fashion, the bar examination’s potential scope of coverage.
II. Boards of Bar Examiners
National Conference Of Bar Examiners
302 South Bedford Street
Madison, WI 53703-3622
Corporate Plaza – Building 3
254 Washington Avenue Extension
Albany, NY 12203-5195
Tel: 800-342-3335; 518-452-8700
NJ Board of Bar Examiners
P.O. Box 973
Trenton, NJ 08625-0973
Connecticut Bar Examining Committee
100 Washington Street
Hartford, CT 06106-4411
Hearing & speech impaired applicants: 800-842-9710
Board of Bar Examiners
Suffolk County Courthouse
3 Pemberton Square
7th Floor – Room 707
III. Bar Exam Preparation Courses
P.O. Box 1308 Gracie Station
New York, NY 10028-0010
D. Kaplan Bar Review
1440 Broadway, 9th floor
New York, NY 10018
Tel: 800-523-0777; 212-997-5771
321 East 84th St., Suite 2
New York, NY 10028
321 East 84th St., Suite 2
New York , NY 10028
90 Willis Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501-2630
General inquiries: email@example.com
IV. NYLS Bar Exam 2014 Kickoff
V. Other Resources
- BarBri bar review : upper level review (BarBri Group). [Shelved separately Reserve]
- Berman, Sara J, Pass the bar exam : a practical guide to achieving academic & professional goals [KF303 .B45 2013 ]
- Suzanne Darrow-Kleinhaus, The bar exam in a nutshell [KF303 .D37 2009 Reserve]
- Steven R. Finz, The Finz Multistate Method [KF303 .F56 2004 Reserve]
- Edna Wells Handy, You can pass any bar exam [KF303 .H36 1997 Reserve]
- Jaimee Nardiello, The bar exam survival guide : the insider’s handbook for passing the bar exam (Professional Pub. 2008) [KF303 .N37 2008]
- Denise Riebe, Pass the Bar! (Carolina Academic Press 2006). [KF303.R24 2006]
- Kimm Alayne Walton, Strategies and Tactics for the MBE: Multistate Bar Exam (Aspen 2003). [KF303 .W35 2003]
- Final report of the New York state board of law examiners regarding the passing standard of the New York state bar examination [KFN5076 .N49 2004 Reference]
The 2004 study recommending that passing grade for the bar exam be raised 5 points (from 660 to 665 points)
- Impact of the Increase in the Passing Score on the New York Bar Examination: February 2006 Bar Administration
A report prepared for the New York State Board of Law Examiners by the National Conference of Bar Examiners, June 2007
- Proposal for a Public Service Alternative Bar Examination, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Summary of Three Studies by the National Conference of Bar Examiners for the New York State Board of Law Examiners Regarding the Impact of the Increase in the Passing Score on the New York Examination.
Summary prepared by the State Board of Law Examiners, July 2007