Launching in Fall 2018
NYLS’s Business of Law Institute will prepare law students and lawyers to meet evolving needs of 21st-century businesses, law firms, and government agencies.
The Institute’s offerings will include courses, hands-on training opportunities, and extracurricular learning labs related to risk and compliance, privacy, cybersecurity, blockchain, artificial intelligence, e-discovery, and similar fields.
Goals of the Business of Law Institute
- Develop, in consultation with industry experts, a series of curricular and extracurricular experiential course offerings to train NYLS students to be effective practitioners in the business of law.
- Build a pipeline of jobs for students who are interested in the intersection of law and technology, especially in the corporate legal counsel space.
- Provide Evening Division students with specialized training as part of their J.D. studies to expand their skill sets and provide a launching pad from their current full-time positions in related fields.
- Bring the entire NYLS community together to harness the technologies most relevant to preparing students for the modern profession.
In August 2018, NYLS will announce a fall calendar of master classes and extracurricular learning labs.
- Read NYLS’s announcement on the Business of Law Institute.
- Read NYLS’s comprehensive market research study. The study includes substantial insights from more than 100 leaders at law firms and corporate law departments and is guiding the Institute’s development.
- Join the Institute’s mailing list.
NYLS and Ari Kaplan Advisors are grateful to all of the qualitative survey participants who shared their perspectives for the report, including, among others:
- Sanjay Bhandari, Partner, Ernst & Young (London)
- Ira Coleman, Chairman, McDermott Will & Emery
- Katie DeBord, Global Chief Innovation Officer, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
- Tony Gomes, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Citrix Systems
- David Jordan, SVP & Chief Information Security Officer, InterContinental Hotels Group
- Ann Rainhart, Chief Operating Officer, Briggs & Morgan
- Dr. Silvia Hodges Silverstein, Founder and Executive Director, Buying Legal Council
- Mark Smolik, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, DHL Supply Chain Americas
- Noah Waisberg, Co-Founder and CEO, Kira Systems
- Christina Wojcik, Global VP, Technical and Legal Solution Consultants, Seal Software
- John Woods Jr., Co-Head of the Global Cybersecurity Practice, Baker McKenzie LLP