Frequently Asked Questions

Search our list of Frequently Asked Questions.

How do I obtain a copy of my NYLS transcript?

You may obtain a copy of your transcript by submitting a Transcript Request Form

What is the cost to obtain a copy of a transcript?

There is no charge to obtain a copy of your transcript. For requests of more than 20 copies there may be a service fee. If you need more than 20 copies of your transcript, please contact the Registrar’s office at 212.431.2300 or email

Can I access my transcript online?

If you are a current student, you may view a copy of your transcript via the Portal. However, this feature is designed for viewing only; the printed version is not well-suited for official uses. To obtain a copy of your transcript that is most suitable for official purposes, use the Transcript Request Form. Please allow 24 hours to process your request (longer during Exam Periods).

What is the turnaround time for transcripts and letters?

All requests for transcripts and letters are normally processed within a 24-hour period. However, during Exam Periods it may take at least 48 hours to process.

How do I obtain a letter verifying my enrollment status for health insurance purposes?

You can obtain a letter indicating your enrollment status by submitting a request for a “Certificate of Attendance” using the General Request Form available here or on the portal under the Student Resources tab > Forms for Students subpage.

When will I know my class rank?

Students are ranked within their class at the end of each academic year as follows:
For full-time students— at the end of two, four, and six semesters
For part-time and evening students—at the end of two, four, six, and eight semesters

At the end of each academic year, you can view your current rank via the portal.

Can I be ranked at the end of the fall semester or receive an adjusted rank if I took summer courses?

No. Class ranks are only given at the end of the academic year (the spring semester).

Who do I contact if I would like to change my status from a full-time student to a part-time student or vice versa?

Contact the Office of Academic Planning and Career Development at 212.431.2310 to change your student status.

How many credits do I need to graduate?

You must have 86 credits to graduate.

How many residence credits are required to graduate?

To be certified for the degree of Juris Doctor and to sit for the Bar Exam, students in the full-time day division must complete a minimum of 90 weeks in residence. Completing six semesters with a minimum of 12 credits each semester will result in a total of 90 weeks (15 weeks per semester). Part-time and evening students must complete a minimum of 120 weeks in residence. Completing eight semesters with a minimum of 8 credits each semester will result in a total of 120 weeks (15 per semester).

Can I visit out or enroll for courses at another law school, and what are the procedures?

Yes, you may take classes at another law school. However, you must contact the Office of Academic Planning and Career Development for prior approval.

Can I obtain a copy of my LSAT record or immunization record?

You can obtain a copy of either your LSAT record or immunization record by submitting a General Request Form.

How do I find out more about exams?

Final Exam schedules are determined by the Registrar’s Office and are posted on the Academic Calendar & Schedules page each July. Midterms, papers, or other assignment dates are determined by the course instructor. Students should refer to the course syllabus for more information. Additional information about exam policies and procedures, exam software, and room assignments, is posted on the NYLS Portal under Student Resources > Exam Information.

Where do I go to resolve exam conflicts?

If two final exams are scheduled on the same day, the Office of the Registrar will reschedule one of those exams for the next date that does not conflict with another exam. Students will be notified of their updated schedules via email at least one month prior to the final exam period. Email or call 212-431-2300 with any questions.

Adjustments to a scheduled final examination are made only under very limited circumstances and with the prior approval of the Office of Academic Planning and Career Development. Generally, an unexcused absence from a final examination will result in the student’s receiving a failing grade for the course. If extraordinary circumstances (serious illness, a death in your immediate family, or some other critical and unexpected event) require you to miss an examination, you must contact the Office of Academic Planning and Career Development before the start of the exam in order to avoid receiving a failing grade. In addition to calling in advance of the exam, you will be required to submit documentation to show why you were unable to take your examination as scheduled. Email or call 212-431-2310

How do I audit classes at NYLS?

Alumni and other community members interested in auditing NYLS courses should view the Schedule of Classes and obtain permission directly from the professor whose class they wish to audit before filling out an Audit Request Form. Email for more information. Alumni interested in continuing legal education courses can find more information here.