Guidelines for non-NYLS summer abroad programs

  • New York Law School permits students in good academic standing to take courses and earn academic credits only through American Bar Association-approved summer abroad programs.
  • For a list of ABA-approved study abroad programs, please click here.
  • For non-NYLS summer abroad programs, students must obtain permission from the Office of Academic Affairs (5th Floor of the “C” building) before attending such a program. All courses must also be approved in advance. Please visit the Office of Academic Affairs to fill out a permission form. That office has also posted a list of frequently asked questions concerning study abroad.
  • New York Law School will transfer up to six credits from a summer abroad program and apply them towards the 86 credits needed for graduation, provided that the grade received was a “C” or higher.
  • Students will receive only credit for non-NYLS summer abroad programs. (New York Law School does not accept or transfer the actual letter grades for non-NYLS summer abroad programs.)
  • Please note that credit will be given for only one summer abroad program. Furthermore, students should be aware that, generally, residence credit will not be awarded for a summer abroad program and, therefore, students may not use such programs to accelerate their date of graduation. (Resident credit is awarded only for those programs in which the in-class component of the program is at least eight weeks long.)