Transfer and Visiting Students
New York Law School welcomes transfer and visiting students to apply. Interested students should meet the qualifications below.
Transfer Student Requirements
NYLS offers admission to qualified candidates transferring from other American Bar Association-approved law schools. Candidates must have completed one academic year—between 28 and 32 credits if seeking full-time admission, or between 20 and 24 credits if seeking part-time admission—and be in good academic standing.
We offer a maximum of 43 semester hours of advanced standing credit for coursework completed at an ABA-approved law school, as determined by NYLS’s Office of Academic Planning and Career Development following an offer of admission. We do not permit advanced standing in the following situations:
- For work completed with a grade below “C” or its equivalent
- For work completed in pre-admission programs
- For work not completed at an ABA-approved law school
- For work completed in an LL.M. program, including at an ABA approved law school
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, or the foreign equivalent.
- A completed J.D. application submitted through the LSAC Electronic Application Service. NYLS does not charge an application fee.
- Current registration for the LSAC Credential Assembly Service, including a recent LSAT score, to be released to NYLS upon submission of your application for admission.
- At least one, but not more than three, letters of recommendation in support of your transfer application. Letters written for first-year admission are not in support of a transfer application and may not be used.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- A letter of good standing from the Dean’s Office of your law school.
- An official, current law school transcript showing all courses and grades for a minimum of one complete year sent directly to the NYLS Office of Admissions and Student Financial Services by the registrar of your law school.
The priority consideration deadline is July 15. Applications received after that date will be considered on a space-available basis. Decisions are typically made within two to three weeks of receipt of all required items.
Because we require an official law school transcript that includes all courses and grades through the first year, carefully consider the timing of your application.
If you are offered admission, we require a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $800 to confirm your commitment to enroll. Your letter of admission includes the due date for this deposit.
Visiting Student Requirements
A student currently enrolled and in good standing at an ABA-approved law school may apply to attend NYLS as a visiting student.
- A completed Visiting Student Application. Download the application.
- A letter sent directly from the candidate's current law school indicating that the candidate is a student enrolled in good standing with permission to visit NYLS.The letter should indicate any conditions on courses or enrollment.
- Fall: July 15
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: May 15
Office of Admissions and Student Financial Services
Admissions • T 212.431.2888 • T 1.877.937.NYLS (Toll-Free) • E firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Aid • T 212.431.2828 • E email@example.com