International Students

International Students

International students who attend school in the United States may need to apply for an F-1 Student Classification Visa. The New York Law School Office of Student Life will help you with this process and will work with you as long as you hold your F-1 student visa at NYLS.

Quick Links

F-1 Visa Information For Incoming Students

To apply for an F-1 student visa to attend classes in the United States, you must be a full-time Day Division student. Students who apply for an F-1 visa must provide financial documentation of their ability to pay for tuition and other expenses, as well as biographical information needed for our office to issue the paperwork for the visa application.

Information you provide will be entered into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Schools are required to make regular electronic updates in SEVIS throughout each semester on the records of their students in F-1 status and the students’ dependents. Required updates include enrollment status, changes of address, and changes in level of study, employment, and school transfers.

F-1 Visa Information for Transfer Students

If you are currently in F-1 status from another U.S. institution and intend to begin your studies at NYLS, you are considered a “transfer student” for the purposes of issuing an I-20 form. A transfer of the supervision of your F-1 status from your previous or current school to NYLS is required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

You will be considered a transfer student if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are in the middle of a degree program and are leaving that program to begin at NYLS.
  • You will have completed a degree program at your current institution and will begin a new degree program at NYLS.
  • You are currently authorized for Optional Practical Training from another school and will begin a new degree program at NYLS.


Office of Student Life  •  T 212.431.2851  •  E